In what I honestly believe is a stunning announcement, Scott Guthrie blogged moments ago that we have released the source code for the following .NET Framework libraries for browsing and debugging, with more to come:
- .NET Base Class Libraries (including System, System.CodeDom, System.Collections, System.ComponentModel, System.Diagnostics, System.Drawing, System.Globalization, System.IO, System.Net, System.Reflection, System.Runtime, System.Security, System.Text, System.Threading, etc).
- ASP.NET (System.Web, System.Web.Extensions)
- Windows Forms (System.Windows.Forms)
- Windows Presentation Foundation (System.Windows)
- ADO.NET and XML (System.Data and System.Xml)
For full instructions on how to install this for VS 2008, a process that takes only a few minutes, please see Shawn Burke's blog post. Scott also points you for help if you run into any problems.
For an excellent example of how to use the source to step through the Framework code; please be sure to read Scott's blog post.