First, a quick note that I'm rapidly posting tutorials and videos and as soon as they are through our production process, I'll turn my blog to announcing them and expanding upon them.
I do want, however, to mention one of my favorite utilities, Hypersnap which I've used for about the past 7 years to capture and annotate all of the images in my books, articles, tutorials and blog entries.
It is an extraordinary utility with amazing capabilities, but the story I want to tell you is about customer service. I wrote the following to customer service yesterday (abridged…)
…The one feature that makes me crazy is the need to go through so many steps to switch between the two modes I use most often:
· Don’t capture cursor, set delay to 200ms
· Capture cursor, set delay to 4 seconds
It would be great to be able to….
62 minutes later I got back a message from Greg Kochaniak that said in part,
Hi Jesse,…I added a “hidden” command…. find “Include Cursor With Time Delay” – drag it and drop on the top main toolbar of HyperSnap… and you’ll have a one button click to enable cursor capture with extra 4 seconds delay, or disable it and no delay… I’ll leave this command there for future releases.
(The image above has the new button circled in red, taken of course in Hypersnap, by using that button!)
You just don't see customer service like that every day. I have no connection to this company, but they do make a great shareware product. Every few months I'll mention some others, but here's a quick list of my current favorites:
- Roboform – For IE. I don't know how anyone lives without this. Fill in your information and it fills forms for you. Can be password protected. Remembers login and password info for sites you visit, can provide password generation.
- Exam Diff Pro – best software I know for examining differences in files and directories. Incredibly easy to use, to customize and very reliable.
- Instant C# / Instant VB (Full Disclosure: They gave me an evaluation copy) I am blown away by how well this product works. Put in a fairly complex program in one language and in seconds you have a fully converted program. Highly recommended if you need and can afford it.
- RegexBuddy – If you are creating regular expressions, nothing comes close to this utility for getting it right, fast and painless. $29.