I am extremely pleased to say that thanks to the very hard work of Guy Smith-Ferrier, and the generosity of Microsoft UK, Microsoft Ireland, Microsoft User Group Support Services and Microsoft US, and the work and welcome of numerous user groups in the UK and Ireland, I am able to announce that I’ll be talking at the following events in mid-April.
[ Map ]
(Presentation details below)
|12 April||The .NET Developer Network||Bristol||#2|
|13, 14 April||Microsoft Tech Days
|13 April||Silverlight User Group / London .NET User Group.||London||#2|
|14 April||The Next Generation User Group||Cambridge||#3|
|15 April||Black Marble User Group||Leeds||#3|
|16 April||NEBytes||Newcastle Upon Tyne||#3|
|19 April||Scottish Developers User Group||Dundee||#1|
|20 April||Scottish Developers User Group||Edinburgh||#2|
|21 April||Dublin User Group||Dublin||TBD|
|22 April||Northern Ireland Microsoft UG||Belfast||TBD|
|23 April||Cork User Group||Cork||TBD|
#1 Introduction to Application Development With Silverlight 4
This presentation is targeted at .NET programmers new to Silverlight or who wish a review of the fundamentals of building an application in Silverlight 4. Topics will include
- Drag and Drop development
- Xaml and Code
- Layout and Controls
- Data, Data-binding, Validation and Async-validation
- Templates and The Visual State Manager (Time allowing)
#2 Silverlight 4, MVVM and Test-Driven Development
- MVVM and Silverlight to build test-driven programs
- Understanding Refactoring and Dependency Injection
- A Walk through of a non-trivial application
#3 Building A Highly Extensible, Decoupled Silverlight Open Source Application with MEF and RIA Services using Lean, Test Driven Development, An International Team of Volunteer Programmers, and lots of Advil.
This talk will use the Silverlight HyperVideo Platform open-source project on CodePlex as a case study in building highly extensible Silverlight applications. Among the topics we will focus on are:
- New features in Silverlight 4 and how they made life easier
- The Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF) added to Silverlight 4
- WCF RIA Services for connection to a back-end db
- Handling inter-module communication when the requirements are that modules cannot assume which other modules will be created, there can be no dependencies on order-of creation and unanticipated modules must be able to communicate with existing modules.
- Using Markers, Injected Markers and polling to trigger events while viewing a video.
- A Quick introduction to Lean, TDD and Kanban